What Does An A&R DO?
An A&R representative signs and develops talent for a record label. There are many ways that a record label A&R representative can discover talent or artists that have "it". You can send your demo package to A&R reps that accept solicited material. You should call first if you want to solicit your music to an A&R representative that will not take unsolicited material. Your A&R executive's job is to make sure that you are making music and taking care of business at the same time, basically your go to guy at your record label.
A&R Reps may also help you make decisions that are important to your career. It is common in the music industry for your A&R representative to help pick your first second and third single. It is important to always remember that your A&R works for the record label. It is not uncommon for a record label A&R to look out for the labels best interest. It is important to discuss any music business with your music management or music attorney. It is your A&R representative's job to help you out during the recording process by hooking you up with top music producers. It is not uncommon for your A&R representative to report your progress to their superiors at the record label. It will be your A&R representative's responsibility to make sure that your album is delivered on time. You will have a release date that all the different departments of the record label need to be ready for.
What Does an A&R Rep do?
• Listen to demos, solicited and unsolicited,
• Seek out artists that have created a buzz for them selves.
• Attend live shows including showcases, concerts, etc.
• Pay attention to what artists are hot and whose contracts are almost up.
• Sign artist to label, get recording budget.
• Find music producers and recording studios. Search for songs.
• Steer the artist in the right direction creatively and professionally.
• Work with the different departments at the label to coordinate efforts.